User acceptance is an integral part of software testing, which not many people actually pay attention to. In the whole process of software development, user acceptance testing is the last and most integral step.
To some extent, evaluates the future of the utility and performance of the software. Hence, making a user acceptance testing checklist is really important for all the companies out there. User acceptance testing (UAT) is nothing but the testing of the software with the outlook of targeted audiences who will ultimately use the software for their own benefit.
- What user acceptance testing cover?
- What should be included in the user acceptance testing checklist?
- User acceptance test best practices
- UAT checklist for mobile apps
- User acceptance testing checklist for mobile app:
- How to conduct a user acceptance test?
- Examples of user acceptance testing
- The stage where user acceptance testing is performed.
Even though quality assurance is heading towards perfection, yet, there is still a long way to go.
Companies should by hook or crook inherit these QA best practices because they not only bring a huge difference in their work but also enhances their business conditions as well, it helps them evolve as a company and attracts a major number of clients as well.
Let’s understand what it is
Imagine you invest your time and money into developing the software, you incorporate all the unique features into it, checked its technical aspect, but ultimately when it is launched into the market, it does not gain the appropriate amount of recognition which you thought it would.
This is going to bring ultimate disaster and is not going to be a fruitful result considering the amount of money and time goes behind the creation of the software. This is why having a user acceptance testing checklist is important.
Every company should especially emphasize on creating a user acceptance testing checklist before they officially launch the app, web or any other digital product..
In the whole procedure of user acceptance testing, a certain number of targeted audiences are chosen by the company who are actually treated as their end testers. These targeted audiences get a chance of going through the website. Evaluate its working features, checks whether there are any bugs in the system, and if all the aspects of the software is uniformly functioning or not.
This whole process is so much important in the entire regime of software testing is because, when a company is creating software, the majority of them cannot predict what will satisfy the clients. They can go through the number of software existing in the industry, see what they are doing, how they are performing, but they cannot predict how the software will satisfy the targeted audiences fully.
Hence letting the targeted audiences themselves see how the software working and taking their opinion on its overall functioning will solve all these confusions regarding the acceptance of the software in the industry.
There are already so many software existing in the market that it becomes really confusing for the targeted audiences to choose from. It might seem quite overwhelming that so many options are making it easier for the targeted clients to choose the correct software, but in reality, it is exactly the opposite. Most of the times, good software do not even reach to their targeted clients.
This is exactly why having a user acceptance testing checklist is essential no matter what the status of the business is. Having a user acceptance testing checklist is a game-changer in the entire process of software development.
What User Acceptance Testing Cover?
The user acceptance testing preferably covers up the end part of the testing procedure before the software hits the market via its official launch. Now you must be wondering what the actual need for keeping a user acceptance testing checklist is?
How can a user acceptance testing checklist make a huge difference? Or what does it even cover up?
Software developers and functional testers work in the stage where the technical work of the software is basically managed. Here the functional specifications and more is checked. But all of this is done through the preferences of the technical workers mainly. In the end, nobody can predict how the software is ultimately going to work or going to gain recognition from the mass as well.
This is exactly why user acceptance is needed. It covers up the issues which might hamper the overall quality of the software by conducting an end test thoroughly. Even if all the testing procedures are carried on before the end testing plays a quintessential role because, in the end, many defects remain unchanged and undetected which ultimately creates a mess when the software is finally launched.
A company who has failed in terms of impressing their targeted audience by not conducting the end tests in user acceptance testing knows what downfall it can cause and how it can hamper the entire effort put behind making the software.
Many people will think is user acceptance even making any difference in the whole process of software development?
After all the regressive testing and developmental checking, some people think user acceptance testing does not really make sense at all. But this is absolutely not true. It undoubtedly makes a huge difference in the entire outcome. Also, since potential users are involved mostly in this testing procedure, the entire procedure gets a comprehensive solution.
Even after all the technical checking and developmental testing, sometimes bugs remain in the system. They can be undetectable, but when the software has ultimately launched these bugs and complications will come into focus and will hamper the user experience of the software, which is not something anybody wants to experience. That is why we are emphasizing so much on having a user acceptance testing checklist.
What should be included in the UAT Checklist?
The user acceptance testing checklist should be an integral part of every software’s testing procedure. Planning a user acceptance testing checklist strategically is also an extremely important task; one should take time, understand the criteria for their software and then only implement the user acceptance testing checklist.
Let’s see what the important parts of an ideal user acceptance testing checklist are.
Getting Started With the UAT Project
Creating a solid plan for getting started with user acceptance testing checklist is actually the most difficult step because people generally cannot figure out how to get started and what to do. Here are the things with which one can get started with the project.
● Identify and select your potential stakeholders.
● Have a proper conversation with them regarding the project.
● Choose a team leader who will carry on all the legal paper works and the explaining work as well to the other team members.
● Discuss the business criteria, objectives and acceptance criteria with the team.
● Gather your resources for user acceptance testing procedures. Try and evaluate the idea by taking ideas from someone who has been doing it effectively.
● Create valid documentation on the user acceptance testing procedure depicting the steps and the probable outcomes as well.
● Make discussions on the project structures.
● Have a thorough discussion with the user acceptance testing team regarding all the working steps of the procedure initially.
● Initiate a formal training session for the team who is going to work for the completion of the user acceptance testing procedures.
Plan For The User Acceptance Testing Procedure
Making plans for the user acceptance testing procedure.
● Firstly, take time in evaluating the process of system acquisition in order to determine the best approach for user acceptance testing procedure.
● Check if the business requirements and the user expectations have been recorded and explained correctly to the team who is going to work behind the initiation of the user acceptance procedures.
● Double-check the business requirements. If those are included or not should be checked twice.
● Create a list of the acceptance criteria and make sure it is properly depicted in your team as well.
● Make sure the scopes are clear and accurate and obviously effective.
● Evaluate the business process properly.
● Check the sustainability of the plan to serve the testing procedure correctly.
Special emphasize should be applied to creating the design for acceptance testing in order to get the desired outcome from the entire procedure.
● Present the full criteria for user acceptance testing in front of the team before starting.
● Review your test scripts before implementing them.
● Explain the user acceptance testing strategy thoroughly.
● Review the test acceptance conditions and evaluate the existing ones keeping adding some new ones if you think there is a need.
● Create test scripts on the basis of test cases.
● Make sure whatever test you are planning to conduct is covering all the requirements for the software.
User Acceptance Testing Execution
Now let’s focus on how a user acceptance test is executed or carried on in order to get the desired outcomes easily.
As a part of the execution of the user acceptance testing, here are the following things that one should follow:
● Verify the condition and the availability of the test environment.
● Create a high level of test schedule against user acceptance testing in order to sort your priorities easily.
● Explain the test schedule in order to make the most out of it and also get the best end results.
● Make sure the incidents are reported on time and in ultimate accuracy as well.
● Examine regularly how the procedure is being carried on and also if the team is performing all the steps and providing the reports as well.
● Collect and maintain a regular test report of the procedure for future use.
User Acceptance Testing Steps
Now comes the ultimate part, which is the release of the software. This part depicts the post user acceptance testing phase, mostly. Let’s focus on what are the steps which should be taken in order to be sure about the release of the software.
● Examine the status of the software instead of checking the acceptance criteria.
● The acceptance criteria will demand a certain period of time and effort in order to get fulfilled. Verify that and put special emphasis on it.
● Check the alternatives as well and evaluate its risks also.
● Make the stakeholders aware about the alternate dates of the release if required.
● Prepare the report for the user acceptance testing procedure before the final launch.
After the release, the activities in making user acceptance testing checklist might get over, but there are a lot of other things which requires special mention and should be taken care of in order to maintain the reputation of the software in the market and take notes on who it is performing as well.
● Provide post-release support to the targeted audiences.
● Conduct a training session to make them aware of the uses and beneficial aspects of the software.
● Keep testing.
● Publish user acceptance public report and also let your clients ask questions as well.
Having a user acceptance testing checklist is important, and to make it even better one requires inheriting the best practices in the procedure, so the outcome is always the best.
Now let’s see what the best user acceptance test practices are.
- Having an idea about your targeted audience is really important before conducting a user acceptance test or taking a user acceptance testing checklist this is because once you get a fair amount of idea what your targeted audience is looking for you will know in which direction you need to head on to in order to achieve the perfect sort of outcome.
- Preparing the plan for your user acceptance testing beforehand is really important. Never go with a plan which is being made in the eleventh hour. The requirements for the testing purpose keep changing hence take enough time to plan what the testing procedure will cover and then only finalize on following the user acceptance testing checklist; this is important because you will have enough time to evaluate all the aspects of testing and also you will also get the desired outcome.
- Creating a good structure user acceptance testing management system is really important. The system or the management team working behind the initiation of the plans and then carrying on the whole procedure of testing diligently will require extremely efficient specialists. Creating a well-organized management team or system is really important since it plays a role equivalent to the backbone of the whole procedure.
- Practice the test scenarios before implementing them for real. This will give a proper idea and experience on how it will bring results by conducting it. Create scenarios of business requirements and accordingly conduct them with the help of the team.
● Focus on defining the acceptance criteria even before the testing procedure is started. This will give a proper idea to the testers on how the work should be maintained in order to achieve the desired results.
User Acceptance Testing Checklist for Mobile Apps
For mobile testing the user acceptance testing checklist requires a lot of steps because mobile apps are more dynamically utilized than normal software and are quite fragile and also requires an extensive amount of precision as well.
The user acceptance testing for the mobile app is mainly divided into three parts, including:
- Performance on the device.
- Server performance.
- Network and connectivity performance.
Performance on devices
● Starting of the app:
This is an important thing to be checked because if the app is taking a lot of time to load or even start, then it is instantly hampering the user experience of the app. Hence it should be checked before the final launch.
● Battery utility of the app.
How much charge is taken up by utilizing the app is also quite important. An app which demands a lot of power is never going to be the targeted audience’s favourite.
● Space demand of the app.
How much space the app is taking up in the mobile storage system is also an important factor which is to be checked before launch. The app should definitely not take up a humongous amount of space because that is quite a huge drawback.
● Variations in software.
An app which is running smoothly on a particular model of the smartphone can misbehave when running on a different phone. This is a software variation issue which should be checked before the final launch.
● Synchronization with other apps.
An app when running on a device should possess the power to allow another app also works. If there is a clash in between the work of two apps the device will be hampered, there will be a delay in the overall functioning of the device. Hence it should be checked beforehand only whether the app is working in harmony with other apps installed on the device.
The app, while connecting with the server through API, the time taken to give any response, becomes an important factor and should be checked as well.
- Data loading time.
While communicating with the server, the app should be able to load the data in a shorter period of time. If the loading time is too long, it immediately makes the user impatient and thereby hampers the user experience of the app. Therefore checking of the data loading time should be done thoroughly.
- Server down issues.
If sometimes the server is down, there should be an alternative server present which will help in providing data and also maintain the functionality of the app. Otherwise, facilities of saving the data in the native server should also be done in order to maintain the user experience on a positive note.
Network and connectivity performance
- Take care of the jitters.
When there is a delay in the loading of information due to failure in connectivity with the network, the occurrence is called as jitters. Information is sent through packets when the network is not being able to send all the packets to the ultimate destination jitters occur. This is a common issue for apps hence checking of this and eliminating it from the system is important.
- Loss of packet.
When there is a loss in the packet, the app should be able to generate a message indicating the loss of information in order to let the user know what is wrong. Hence the app should inherit activities like popping messages to give an indication of the issue to the user.
- Speed of network.
The testing of the app should be done on various networks in order to see how it performs on different types of network connections like 2g, 3g, 4g. This will give a proper idea of the working feature of the app, and the user can also be informed regarding the connectivity of network in which the app will provide the maximum amount of output and function smoothly.
Other than this in terms of conducting user acceptance testing for mobile apps, it should also be checked how the app performs on different operating systems of smartphones like iOs and Android system.
Apps which are meant to perform for both the system can sometimes fail to perform up to the expected level — checking how it is functioning on both the system is really important in order to maintain the user experience of the app positive and also gain the maximum amount of recognition from the targeted audience.
How To Conduct A User Acceptance Test?
Conducting user acceptance testing procedure requires quite a lot of effort and planning. If the implementation of the user acceptance testing checklist is not done strategically and smartly, the outcomes would never bring the desired results which are going to be a huge downfall the company itself.
Developing software demands a lot of effort, rigorous testing practices and a lot more and in the end,
if the outcome is of not the desired quality, it is going to be a huge disappointment.
Elaborate your expectation from the user acceptance testing
It is very important to depict the actual reason behind conducting the user acceptance testing to the test participants and the other team members. This is important because depicting your expectations give a clear idea of how the end results should look and what are the measures that should be taken in order to achieve that end result. Also, when people understand the purpose of work, they actually take an interest in working for it.
Conduct user acceptance testing early and frequently.
Majority of the companies prefer conducting the user acceptance testing procedure at the end of the testing schedule. Towards the starting of the release or while approaching the release date companies to start hustling with the use of acceptance testing.
This is not the correct approach to conduct user acceptance testing also due to the hustle quite a lot of things do not get included in the user acceptance testing checklist which ultimately does not bring better outcome in the end. Hence conducting the user acceptance testing should be performed from an early date and not in the eleventh hour before the final launch.
Find relevant and sincere test participants for the user acceptance testing procedure
Test participants play a quintessential role behind the entire procedure. They are the ones who find out the bugs existing in the system and help in elevating the quality of the software as well. If the test participants are not sincere, then they will never be able to detect the bugs, and the desired outcome will never be achieved as well. Hence choosing potential testers is really important. Conduct a thorough survey and then only make final decisions about choosing your test participants.
Create test assignments before conducting the final user acceptance testing procedure
Test assignments consist of test scenarios which depict real-life complications which might arise in the software once it hits the market. The test scenarios which you will create for your software user acceptance testing should depict the journey of user experience with it. It should consist of relevant numbers of scenarios which can arise in the course of using the software and how it can be cured as well.
Each test scenarios should cover a particular situation or complication that can arise
While writing the tests, make sure you use easily understandable language and avoid any kind of business-oriented language to make it complicated for the testers to understand. This is an important step because many companies tend to choose a certain number of the targeted audience as their end testers of user acceptance testing; these people are definitely not aware of business-oriented command and languages. Hence it is important the test scenario is written in simple and easily understandable language.
Elaborate every step in the test scenario
While you invest time in creating test scenarios, but the maximum amount of focus on creating quality test scenarios instead of focusing on the quantity. This will make sure whatever you put up for testing is covering the maximum amount of criteria and is ultimately bringing the desired outcome.
Before you finally implement your test scenarios, make you run a trial testing process in order to see how the test scenarios help in user acceptance testing ultimately.
Elaborate your expectation from the user acceptance testing
While making your test cases, make sure you make them all-rounder and reusable as well. Make sure they can be utilized in more than one step. This is an effective way of saving time and energy as well.
While conducting test scenarios, do not focus on finding only the defects in the software. Remember the whole motive of creating a user acceptance testing checklist is to enhance the quality of the software and its interactions with the targeted audience. Hence you should not focus on finding bugs instead of getting reports of the test make sure you conduct better steps to make the end results flawless.
While you conduct the testing procedure, make sure there is good communication existing between your team. Immediately after the defects are detected, make sure those are conveyed to the team who is responsible for rectifying the issues and making the end results flawless ultimately.
What are the challenges that one should overcome in order to get the perfect results through user acceptance testing?
● Maintenance of a proper environment is something which is really important when it comes to carrying on testing procedures flawlessly. This is important because it influences the working capabilities of the tester as well to a huge extent. Hence creating an environment where tests are carried on smoothly is really important.
● Test planning should be done in proper time. It should never be done in the eleventh hour this will create a huge amount of problem and a lot of criteria will be neglected in the course as well. The user acceptance testing should be planned and discussed with the team before the final implementation is done.
● Choosing testers who are skilled and experience is also very important. Avoiding testers who are irresponsible and not experienced as well is really important in order to make the entire testing procedure flawless.
● Lastly, there should be no blame game happening in the team. If any complication arises or if any bug remains unnoticed the blame has to be taken by someone in the team. This is not a drawback the actual drawback is wasting time blaming each other for the negligence.
Examples Of User Acceptance Testing
Software from any sector is that business, travel, and tourism, etc. should always pass through multiple steps of user acceptance testing before they are finally launched in the market.
Having a user acceptance testing checklist is really important because it provides a detailed idea on the process of the user acceptance testing in order to achieve flawless end results.
Any software will be made to pass through a series of testing processes such as functional testing, integration testing, system testing, performance testing, and a lot more. But in the end, what matters the most is user acceptance testing. It influences the whole experience of audiences with the software ultimately; hence, it plays an important role here. User acceptance testing is mainly performed in two parts:
Alpha testing is done by the testers on the developer’s site before the software is finally delivered to the end testers for the final user acceptance testing or Beta testing.
This is the ultimate step of user acceptance testing. The end testers run the Beta testing for finding the ultimate defects in the system, and after completion, the software is finally ready for its final launch.
The stage where user acceptance testing is performed
Simply having a user acceptance testing checklist will not cure all your problems – actually knowing where to implement the aspects of it is also required. This is why one should be fully aware of what the actual stage is where user acceptance testing has to be performed.
There are multiple ways of developing software but the two phases where user acceptance testing is implemented consists of:
- Sequential development
- Iterative development.
Sequential development is a process of developmental stages that goes in a V shape until its completion. Here user acceptance testing is the final step which checks the software’s functions keeping in mind the business requirements.
In iterative approaches, the testing takes place in short sprints; this is done explicitly so that the functionality of the software becomes effective at the end of every sprint. User acceptance testing is required before getting done with each sprint.
User acceptance testing is an integral part of software testing, which by now is quite evident through all the information that has been shared above. It is important and demands quite a good amount of effort and accuracy as well. Hence carrying on with a user acceptance testing checklist is not going to be an easy task. Making a user acceptance testing checklist is quite a hectic job and demands higher precision, one small mistake and the end results will not be flawless.
Having a user acceptance testing checklist is really important because it influences the status of the software once it hit the market and also becomes beneficial for the targeted audience. Hence neglecting the importance of a user acceptance testing checklist is a foolish decision for sure.